..Miss Gracie's Sweet Shoppe..
Add a little sweetness to your life!


Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Yes, I am still alive and yes, I am still cooking and baking. BUT, when the camera is being impossibly stupid( and what is a recipe without the picture?), apologetics class is always looming close ahead, and craziness of my own doing - training for the 1/2 marathon, posting gets put to the wayside. Some of the things I have baked in the last couple of days are:
~ Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
~ Tow Mater cake
~ Crusty Bread

I made the carrot cake for the same lady I did before (remember my first post?), but this time her son wanted it in the shape of Tow Mater . Since I can rarely tell someone no, and I like challenges, I decided I would make her a carrot cake that wouldn't compromise any deliciousness ( since it was her birthday) and make a separate Tow Mater cake. Let's just call it an adventure in fondant. What tasteless, nasty stuff that is! I found a recipe after the fact for a homemade marshmallow fondant that might not be too bad. I'll have to try it and let you know how it works. I'll post some picture if I can get some.
The crusty bread I made is from Martha Stewart Living, January 2008. I tell you, the Europeans KNOW what bread is supposed to be like. To think I have gone 18 years and never tasted bread so good! I am sorry but America has ruined the meaning of bread. Even homemade regular bread ( regular to American standards) is lacking true substance and flavor - and NO crusty crust. Americans don't even know what crust IS! OK, I'll stop ranting now, but this bread is really good and I just might break down and use Martha's picture and post the recipe so I can let you in on what bread is supposed to be.
Tomorrow I make some Amish Friendship bread from the starter I have been babying for 10 days now. Pretty good stuff... to bad I can't send you all some of your own starter!

1 comment:

Mrs. MK said...

Oh, yummy! I want to make some today!! Perfect crusty bread weather, no?