..Miss Gracie's Sweet Shoppe..
Add a little sweetness to your life!


Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Jane Eyre



Jane Eyre. My fictional heroine. Just when her dreams and her longings were being fulfilled, a secret was revealed that caused every happy and joyful aspect of her life to be crushed. She could have turned her back on morality and purity and gone where her heart led. She could have followed her fleshly passions and done what the world would have deemed as 'right'. But instead she did what was noble and right and true - and suffered - for a time. She suffered for 4 years... while keeping busy, serving those around her. Then God did what he has promised to do.... He blessed his righteous daughter with all that she desired.



Jane to Mr. Rochester:
"'Oh comply!' it said, 'Think of his misery, think of his danger--look at his state when left alone...Who in the world cares for you? or who will be injured by what you do?'...Still indomitable was the reply--'I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself. I will keep the law given by God, sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad--as I am now. Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour, stringent are they; inviolate they shall be...with my veins running fire, and my heart beating faster than I can count its throbs. Preconceived opinions, foregone determinations, are all I have at this hour to stand by: there I plant my foot!'" Chapter 27, pg. 279


Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Psalms 37:4 - 6
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte'

4 comments:

Grace said...

Amen! Thanks, Grace. I luv Jane Eyre, too! Such a picture of strength and... grace! ;)

Miss Gracie's House said...

You know how much I love this:)

Mrs. MK said...

Great post, Grace!!

Of course, I couldn't agree more!!

hopeinbrazil said...

Hello, I found your blog via the Bronte Blog. Thanks for putting into words what I've always felt about Jane Eyre. Growing up I always thought of her as my mentor. She did the right thing no matter what!